In light of Dannel McCollum’s June 15th letter (“Board’s performance is a definite downer“) and a follow-up letter by Central alum Stephen Witt (“Central discussion is a confusing mix” – June 19th), I got to thinking about how we arrived at the place we are today. Which further inspired me to develop this timeline:
While doing the research for this, I stumbled upon a 2007 article which pretty much laid out some stark (and not very flattering) observations about how Unit 4 enters into these bond referendums (referenda?):
Another is a NG Guest Editorial written by Laurie Reynolds in 2011:
There are hundreds, if not thousands, of other details that did not make the cut for the timeline above; I even unearthed an ancient 1955 bond referendum. 🙂 There have been many efforts to discuss, adapt, upgrade, enhance, replace and build new schools over the past half-century. More recently, things like the Unit 4 “Town Hall Meeting”, the many “Community Dialogues” and the various surveys are not included either.
In conclusion, I noticed that Urbana is planning “Renovation without taxation“, also noted in this NG article: Urbana school board mulls building projects. I wonder if they hired a bunch of consultants to help them with that. I wonder how they built consensus (the article merely mentions that they have consensus, not how they achieved it, or who exactly is part of the group).
- Gorski Reifsteck and DRL Group RFP:
- Dejong-Richter RFP:
- Lisa De La Rue’s report to the Board:
- Holly Nelson’s Central Relocation Study website: http://centralrelocationstudy.wordpress.com/
- Holly Nelson’s presentation to the board:
- Brian Dollinar’s “Consent Decree 101: The Mis-education of Champaign’s Black Students”: http://publici.ucimc.org/?p=1010
- NG Jodi Heckel “Champaign schools’ consent decree comes to an end”:
- Dejong-Richter presentation to the board:
- Unit 4 “Fact Sheet” distributed prior to the 2007 1% Sales Tax referendum:
- My own post on an incomplete historical snapshot:
- Unit 4 “Fact Sheet” distributed prior to the 2006 Tax Referendum:
- NG Anne Cook “Unit 4 looks to spring bond referendum”:
- NG Jodi Heckel “School district, UI collaborate on idea for new Champaign school”:
- NG Jodi Heckel “Two school board members offer draft of long-range plan”:
Anyone interested in compiling all these facts into a dynamically zoomable Prezi?