I have been invited to beta test the new website that Unit 4 is currently polishing in anticipation for the “big reveal” in the very near future.
There are a number of goodies and characteristics that help launch the school district’s web presence into the modern times. A majority of my comments in this post are going to be positive; I have submitted constructive criticisms already and we will see what Unit 4 will do with them.
- Search: You can now simply search for keywords without having to go to google first. Very handy! 🙂
- More navigation options; aside from Search and a couple more menu items to navigate from, the sitemap is now located at the bottom of every single page (easy to miss if you don’t scroll down)
- Schools are now plotted via google maps
- New directory mechanism that provides contact information and a brief profile (including space for a picture), with its own search and filtering buttons. Also very handy.
- RSS feed for the “News” page
- New Calendar system – filters allow one to see individual schools in addition to the district. I have asked if has an open/public API
- Twitter feed right on the front page
It looks and feels like a fresh website. There are still some minor things they are working out (ie, content), and I have asked questions about navigation.
Once it opens up in the near future, I would be curious to hear what you all think.